Thursday, December 24, 2009

Merry Christmas!

Wishing all our friends and families far and near a wonderful merry Christmas! May the magic of Christmas be with you tonight and through the next year.

I have sat and thought what I could write about on the blog that hasn't already been said. Then I thought, maybe, I should put down my feelings this Christmas.


First, it has been a really tough time trying to get into the spirit for Christmas this year. I had tried all the things I normally do and just hadn't quite done it. I remember seeing Christmas decorations up in October this year! What the poo! Maybe the retailers started it too early for me. But then I am finding out that many of my family and friends are finding it very hard to get into the Christmas spirit. Maybe it is too commercial for me this year. I felt that I would have really rather helped others than buy a bunch of presents that will end up in the back room never to be played with.... We purchased gifts anyway, but not in the spirit that we would in the past. The kids will have nice things, and we will too. But where is that spirit I have been looking for. I think I know what it is that I will be doing. I have decided since I already donate to 4 charities year round that have to do with facial differences, that maybe I should be helping out in other ways.



Second, the kids have been good this year. Extremely wearing in some ways. We have Qijia staying with us. For the months he has been here, I have heard nothing from the kids that seemed to be positive for our family. One complaint after another, then we realize he just isn't getting into the life of an American Teenager. O.k. maybe that is good in many ways. But you know, it would be so nice to see him have friends and go out with them occasionally and get phone calls and not listen to the whining... Of course it comes from my other half as well as the kids. So, the agency is on a mission to find him a new home that is more accepting than my spoiled rotten kids can be and maybe he will find the atmosphere he needs.



Third, work has been very stressful. One of the people I have worked with for most of 20 years is retiring and moving away. He is brilliant on the applications we program and maintain. Now that job is falling onto my shoulders with the assistance of two others. It is a sadness that has set over me because not only am I losing a co-worker, he is a birthday buddy and without realizing it we have become good friends. Knowing that we won't hear "Enjoy" as we are leaving, or getting the " I think you need to research this" for something that is a once in a lifetime problem. LOL



Fourth, Boyd has been laid off for several months and is on his second extension of unemployment. He has been bothered by not being able to find work and the older he gets the harder it is to find a job. He did have an interview this week, so maybe we will have a Christmas miracle of a new job for the beginning of the New Year for him. He has really stepped up to the plate this year with the kids and they have noticed the difference.



Let's see, we have had to replace the microwave and now we need to replace the washer. We had to replace the dishwasher earlier this year and the dryer just a few months ago. Time to start saving for a new water heater too.



All in all we have had a good year. Busy, but good.

No comments: